A record of commitment to public schools.
For the last decade, Cathy has advocated for students, teachers, and our public schools, as a parent volunteer coordinator for the 2010 and 2016 referenda, as the leader of the Indiana Coalition for Public Education of Monroe County (and now president of the statewide organization), and as an MCCSC school board member first elected in 2016.
Cathy advocates for the schools our kids need.
- Brings experience and awareness of the greater educational landscape and the challenges for public schools.
- Will continue to advocate for public schools in the face of statewide privatization efforts.
- Believes we must balance the need for safety for teachers, staff, and students with the need to maintain students in our schools to support their academic, physical, and social well-being.
- Will listen and engage the community in the superintendent search; will help support that new leader.
- Will continue to support our school district’s work toward educational equity.
- Will work to improve meaningful communication between the board, the community, and school stakeholders.
“Cathy has been a local and state leader in the fight to ensure public schools are fully funded, teachers are valued and compensated, and ALL students have access to an enriching curriculum and experience. Her belief that public education is essential for a healthy democracy drives her motivation to keep MCCSC one of the best public systems in the state.”
“Cathy Fuentes-Rohwer is dedicated to creating and maintaining a high-quality public school system that provides all children the finest learning opportunities, all teachers the resources needed to create appropriate and compassionate learning environments, and all schools the support to meet the specific needs of the community served. Cathy has championed the fight for public school education in Monroe County and the state of Indiana and will use her knowledge, concern and compassion to ensure that our school system will do what is best for every child in the county.”
“We in Monroe County are fortunate to have Cathy Fuentes-Rohwer serving on the MCCSC school board. She is a passionate advocate for public schools, known throughout Indiana and beyond for her leadership of the Indiana Coalition for Public Education. She understands the proper role of board members and has consistently made tough decisions on behalf of our schools. Most importantly, we can count on her to look out for all the children and families in our school district.“